From: Dale M. Boresz [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, October 03, 2000 7:17 AM
To: Orion-Interest
Subject: Re: 1.3.8 on NT causing Dr. Watson

Vidur Dhanda wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Has anyone else experienced erratic java.exe (JDK1.3) failures while
> running 1.3.8 on a NT4.0SP6a box.  All  of a sudden I have started
> getting Dr Watson while running orion.  I can't detect any pattern -- it
> can crash while it is doing nothing and when there is heavy load on the
> server.
>
> My configuration: JDK1.3, Orion 1.3.8, NTWS4.0SP6a, 384MB, AMD K6.
>
> Vidur

Vidur,

I can't comment about jdk/orion under  NT, but ...

For  what it's worth, here's what I've noticed while running Sun's jdk1.3
under Linux:
When Orion is started, there are about a dozen jdk1.3 processess that start
up simultaneously! Under jdk1.2.2, there was only one. As I modify the
server.xml file - adding or dropping sites, the number of jdk1.3 instances
increases dramatically. If I kill the first jdk1.3 instance started, they
all terminate. Under jdk1.2.2, I've never noticed any additional processes
start up.

I don't know what these processes are doing, or why this happens, but it's
just something that I've noticed, and the fact that the number of processes
rapidly increases is pretty alarming. So... I went back to jdk1.2.2 for
now, and that works fine.

I'd suggest that maybe you can check out the number of processes running
under NT, and see if perhaps you're experiencing something similar.

    -Dale