Hello,

Please bear with me while I try to explain my question.  I don't
understand the J2EE security mechanism as well as I should.  Here's what
I want to do.

In the client application, I want to provide a user interface for
invoking some methods on an EJB.  Say, the client application renders an
entity bean and there is a method public void reset()  on the entity
bean.  I want to enable or disable a menu item based on whether the
current user is authorized to invoke the method.  From what I
understand, upon deployment users are assigned to roles and roles
authorized to invoke methods.  Is there a way for the client application
to establish whether the current user is able to invoke the method?  I
can get the current user from the InitialContext as
(Principal)getContext().getEnvironment().get("java.naming.security.principal").
Right?  Can I somehow do the equivalent of Principal.canInvoke
("SessionBean.methodName")?

I'm not sure whether the question is even reasonable.  However, there
must be a way for the client application's UI to dynamically adjust
itself based on the deployment security criteria.  Or am I confused
about something basic.

Thanks,
Vidur

PS.  If possible, please cc me