Hi all,

Well, using a pretty nifty (and very expensive) testing tool, I was able to
do some "minor" testing on a login process of our site. Using Orion, Oracle
8i database, and e-load test suite, here are some numbers that I got:

25 users  - 15 connections in the pool

pages per second  - 43
pages per day       - 3.75 million
transactions per second  - 14.5
transactions per day       - 1.26 million

25 users  - 30 connections in the pool

pages per second    - 26.4
pages per day         - 2.28 million
transactions per second - 8.81
transactions per day      - 761333

25 users - 5 connections in the pool

pages per second     -  51.95
pages per day          -  4.48 million
transactions per second  - 17.32
transactions per day    - 1.49 million

The test is simple. It uses the browser built into the e-test suite software
and "automates" the login process of our site. I ran the test on a PIII650,
with 512MB RAM. The database is running on a SUN E450 serve with 512MB RAM.
The test simply sends a post submitted form with the login name and password
to a controller servlet that then hits the database using a connection via
the pool, and logs in the user. All logins were valid, I did not test
invalid login names/passwords.

Just thought I would share these numbers. Next week I will be setting up a
two-server farm, using the load-balancer software that Orion includes in
their download. Each server will be dual PIII550 with 512MB RAM and SCSI III
RAID hd setup (Actually, they are IBM NetFinitiy 4000R units). The load
balancer will run on a slow PII300 workstation with 128MB RAM (I hope this
is good enough). They will be failed over and load-balanced, and I will test
the performance on those and post the results here.

The only thing I am not sure of is if different testing software performs
about the same..or are there dramatically different results.

If anyone wants me to attempt to test their site, I'll give it a go from
here..but its over a T1 connection, where as my test is done locally on a
LAN, so I am sure the results are more skewed.