What your are proposing seems like it should work. I am surprised it
doesn't. Why would it not work? Does it not work with RMI? If you can call
methods on an object from the client to the server, why can't it be the
reverse..where the client object passed in (this) is like a "server" object
to the server (which would assume the role of a client in this case). I
thought RMI is two way..so I can't make sense of why this wouldn't work.