On Today, Kemp Randy-W18971 ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> Tim has brought up an interesting point.  Orion has granted free licenses to
>developers, which is a good concept.  However, Orion not only has to compete with
>other commercial products like web-logic, but good open source EJB servers, like
>JBoss and JOnAS.  It would only be fair to have good documentation to review, and to
>deploy a test sample to demonstrate Orion can work, for those funding the development
>and software purchases.

We bought a copy of Orion for development, figuring that given the
low price and the supposed availability of support for license
holders, it would be worth the cost.  Unfortunately, we have received
zero useful support from Orion at this point.  I'm trying to figure
out if I've simply asked lousy/dumb questions, or if there really
is zero support.  Kinda hard to tell...

Documenting something as complex as a J2EE server must be a daunting
task, and I can't blame Orion for having trouble doing it.  And
even email support eats time like crazy.  I suppose that's why it
costs so much to buy the upscale servers, because they have the
resources to provide documentation and real support.

I still plan on working with Orion as long as I can stand the pain
and can accomplish the job.  I'm sure not tying myself to it though,
knowing that any day I can run into a problem for which I might
never find an answer.  At that point we'll be forced to shovel out
the bucks for a more customer-friendly server.

Ah well,

        Gary Shea
        iTransact.com, Inc.