I've done something kind of similar.  I found through experimentation that the Orion-generated file "orion-web.xml", which lives in the app-specific subdirectories beneath application-deployments, had gotten stale -- out of sync with my deployment descriptors.  When you shutdown Orion and blow away that file, Orion generates a new one with correct values.  Similar to your experience, that stopped the 500 Internal Errors.

Just noting this so you can experiment with it in future.

Hope this helps!

--Mark

Jim Archer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]