Hello Keith,

Keith Kwiatek wrote:

> Probably not... but you know sooner or later someone is going to buy
> Orion... and the product price will NOT remain anywhere near $1500 OR be
> "free" to non-commercial projects !!

Well, I wouldn't count on this happening...

> I like Orion, but for projects on a budget, I think it is safer and less
> costly to maybe go with http://www.ejboss.org/ or
> http://www.evidian.com/jonas/index.htm. These are dedicated "open source"
> ejb servers....  aaaahh if only Orion would open source.....
>
> Admittedly, I don't know how the above ejb servers compare to orion..... I
> know they don't have servlets/jsp... but then there is the open source free
> resin...

Just have to point out that Resin is not free for commercial use.

And if Orion is a take-over target, Resin is probably more so. Since Resin
isn't a full J2EE server but is used for JSP/Servlets it's more likely to fit
into someone's product portfolio (many EJB servers lack a decent web
container), rather than Orion that would be a competitor to any existing server
offering they have.

Regards,
Karl Avedal