this is one of my orion-application.xml

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE orion-application PUBLIC "-//Evermind//DTD J2EE Application
runtime 1.2//EN" "http://www.orionserver.com/dtds/orion-application.dtd">

<orion-application deployment-version="1.4.4">
        <ejb-module remote="false" path="ejb-jar-ic.jar" />
        <web-module id="war-ic" path="war-ic.war" />
        <persistence path="persistence" />
        <principals path="principals.xml" />
        <log>
                <file path="application.log" />
        </log>
        <namespace-access>
                <read-access>
                </read-access>
                <write-access>
                </write-access>
        </namespace-access>
</orion-application>

I'm running W2k and have no problem with this setup (and the reference to
the principals is to the right file, the one that lies in the same dir as
orion-application.xml)

Perhaps an autoupdate is in order?