From: Scott Stirling
To: Orion-Interest
Sent: 11/28/2000 8:28 PM
Subject: RE: Running two instances of Orion on the same IP and port

This has nothing to do with Orion per se.  It's a fact of life that only
one process at a time can bind to a port on a host.  For example, say
you had Orion bound to port 25 along with your email server.  Who would
try to handle SMTP requests to port 25?  Orion or the mail server?  The
answer is whoever bound the port first.  And once a process has bound to
a critical port (such as a Web server binding to port 80), it usually
doesn't "let go" until the process is stopped.

Scott Stirling
West Newton, MA