I found this script working extremely well on 1.3.8 and earlier....

#! /bin/sh

case $1 in
        start)
                (
                        echo 'Starting orion'
                        cd /opt/orion
                        cp /opt/orion/orion.stdout /opt/orion.stdout.old
   cp /opt/orion/orion.errorlog /opt/orion/orion.errorlog.old
   rm /opt/orion/orion.stdout
   rm /opt/orion/orion.errorlog
   java \
   -jar orion.jar \
   -config /opt/orion/config/server.xml \
   -out /opt/orion/orion.stdout \
   -err /opt/orion/orion.errorlog \
   &
                )
                ;;

        stop)
                        echo 'Killing orion....'
   java -jar /opt/orion/admin.jar ormi://localhost/ admin orion99 -shutdown
force
                        kill `ps -ef | grep orion | grep jar | awk '{print
$2}'`
                ;;
        restart)
                (
                        echo 'Restarting orion'
                        echo 'Please wait'
   java -jar /opt/orion/admin.jar ormi://localhost admin orion99 -restart
                        echo 'Orion started, kick ass!!'
                )
                ;;
esac