The UserTransaction interface of JTA is required to be supported by all J2EE
containers (as of J2EE 1.2).  There are a few other requirements (check out
chapter 4 of the J2EE spec.), but implementing JTS is not one of them.  JTS
is not mentioned anywhere in the J2EE spec except as a reference in the
appendix and a footnote in 4.3.1 of J2EE 1.3.

The RI includes JTS for demonstration purposes.  Primarily because it needs
a transaction manager implementation to show off some of the features of
J2EE, particularly EJB.  But no J2EE container is required to implement or
use JTS.  This is true in the PFD of J2EE 1.3 too.  Supposedly, the main
reason Sun is open-ended about transaction management and minimal about
types of transactions required for EJB (only flat transactions are required
to be supported in J2EE) is that they can't/don't want J2EE  to compete with
commercial transaction managers like Tuxedo, CICS, etc.

So does that make sense?  The RI includes JTS, but you can use any
transaction service you want and remain J2EE-compliant, as long as your J2EE
container provides the required JTA interfaces and can connect to it.

Scott Stirling