> The first problem is that I cannot use request.getParameter() to check the
> value of "normal" field (as opposed to a "file" parameters). I assumed that
> this was normal and that I had to examine the request header to do the
> trick. Is this correct?

HttpServletRequest.getParameter() works fine for me. Maybe your problem lies in
the fact that you are using it under HttpServlet.doGet() as opposed to doPost()?
In other words, does your FORM element include the attribute METHOD="POST"?

Here is code that works fine for me under doPost():

  Enumeration enum = httpReq.getParameterNames();
  for ( ; enum.hasMoreElements() ; )
     {
     String name = (String) enum.nextElement();
     String value = req.getParameter( name );
     }

tim.