First of all, don't ever use telnet for anything. It's a clear text
protocol and anyone snooping the line can easily snag your username and
password. The suitable replacement for telnet (actually all rsh
services) is SSH (secure shell) which uses encrypted sessions, and is thus
difficult to monitor and crack. For moving files between machines you can
use scp (secure copy) or sftp (secure ftp), because, ftp is also a clear
text protocol.

I use OpenSSH (http://www.openssh.com/) because it's opensource and made
by paranoid BSD people. OpenSSH will require OpenSSL
(http://www.openssl.org/) which is also open source. There _might_ be
binaries out there for solaris but more likely you will have to compile
them yourself. A usefull site is (http://www.sunfreeware.com/) as they
have alot of binaries for solaris.

For fun with packet sniffing checkout dsniff
(http://www.monkey.org/~dugsong/dsniff/).

Now, on to the problem you are having. We had the same problem as we've
recently deployed on a Solaris box ourselves, but i can't remember how we
fixed it so i'm forwarding this to my co-worker lorin who maybe able to
answer it for you.

thanks,
sach