We are indeed. Myself, Joe Walnes and others are working on a project called
OpenSymphony. There is an upcoming module called OSUser which will provide
app server independent user management (or at least a common API with
plugins for the major app servers, you can write your own for minor
servers). There's also a whole lot of other good stuff coming up.

If anyone would like to know more about it - feel free to join the mailing
lists (particularly opensymphony-developers) at
http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=9890 .

I'll be sure to let you all know when a beta version is available for
external testing. (Hopefully within a fortnight).

Cheers,
Mike

PS In the mean time you can check out two already released modules, OSCache
and SiteMesh - both of which have met with rave reviews!
http://web.opensymphony.com .