-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Jeff Schnitzer
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2001 12:15 AM
To: Orion-Interest
Subject: RE: R: R: frustrated - jdbc: No suitable driver

While I agree that the client code should have no knowledge of what
driver it is using, somehow the JDBC driver classes do need to
eventually find their way to the client machine.  Since J2EE doesn't
specify the process by which client files get to the client machine (and
for good reason), there are a lot of ways to do it.

>From you description, it looks like the weblogic launcher will
automatically download the JDBC driver.  I stand corrected :-)  I wonder
how they deal with licensing issues... I doubt they let just anyone
download their jDrivers :-)  And why didn't they make a launcher that
downloads *all* the necessary classes so you can have a zero install
footprint on the client machine?  Looking at their docs, it looks like
ClientDeployer wants the whole ear file to be installed on the client.
Yuck.  But I'll agree, downloading some classes is probably better than
no classes.

Orion is not so friendly.  You've got to package everything up in the
client jar file, including the interface classes of the ejbs you want to
use.  The good news is that in this process it's simple to put the
minimum subset of classes into the client package :-)  And dynamically
downloading the class files is slow anyways :-) :-) :-)

Jeff