Damian,
    my company ran into the same problem constructing pdf files through a perl script.
 The problem is with IE5, specifically the manner in which it attempts to detect the
content type of server output.  The content-type mime header is unfortunately one of
the last things it peeks at.  Check out article ref Q262213 on Microsoft's knowledge
base.  We've collected a list of related (and perhaps more pertinent.. I'm away from
my office right now) articles.  Email me directly if you want more detail.
    Oh, there's no fix we ever found, by the way.  We could never pinpoint any exact
version of IE or Windows that caused the problem.  Sometime an IE upgrade worked,
sometimes not.  We were left with "Click here for an html version," "Click here to
have a pdf copy emailed to you", "Please use Netscape", etc.
    If you find a fix, let me know!

Mike Hoolehan
Sycamore Associates, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]