Geoff,

I believe the default port for SSL is supposed to be port number 443 -- I
assume that's what Orion uses.  Following is a simple port tester program
(for your local host):

import java.net.*;
import java.io.*;

public class SimplePortTester {

    if ( args.length <= 0 )
    {
        System.out.println( "Usage: java SimplePortTester portNumber" );
       return;
    }

    int portNum = Integer.parseInt( args[0] );

    try
    {
        // Try to establish a socket connection.  If the port was open,
        // then the connection should be made; otherwise it will fail.
        System.out.println(
            "Attempting ServerSocket connection on portNum " + portNum +
"." );
        ServerSocket serverSocket = new ServerSocket( portNum );
        System.out.println(
            "Connection established (port " + portNum + " was available)."
            + "\nClosing connection and releasing port..." );
        serverSocket.close();
    }
    catch (IOException e)
    {
        System.out.println(
                "ServerSocket connection already exists on portNum "
                + portNum + ".");
    } // end try
  }
}

To check your default web server port:
> java SimplePortTester 80

To check for an in-use (or hung) SSL port:
> java SimplePortTester 443

If you are running a web server on port 80, the exception should be thrown
with it's message.  If the port is available, then the connection should be
opened and closed.  So, try it with port 473 to see if you have some
process hanging onto the SSL port.

Sometimes a program opens a socket connection, but fails to close it before
the program ends, thus causing a socket connection to hang.  This is one of
the inherent problems with IP sockets.  Eventually, the operating system
should release the socket, but different operating systems implement socket
timeouts in different ways (I think the default timeout on Solaris is 4
minutes).

If you're running NT, you may have to go into the task manager and try to
find the program that's hanging onto the port, then kill it.  In
Unix/Linux, use "ps -ef" to find the offending process.

Hope this helps.

Jay Armstrong
[EMAIL PROTECTED]