Hello Ron,
Two ideas:

.- Use an include in all your pages to check for some value in the
session to see if the user enters from the start page.
.- Use a servlet mapped to jsp and html. Where a user request a jsp or
html the servlet is invoked. Then you can check  the request referer
and act acordingly.

Check the documentation of the web.xml file to see how servlet mapping
is defined.

To get the referer from the request, use
       request.getHeader("Referer")

--
Best regards,
 Rafael                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]