From: Karl Avedal [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2001 2:47 AM
To: Orion-Interest
Subject: Re: Orion Load Problems

Hello Daniel,

These kind of problems are indeed hard ones to solve, since they appear only
under certain circumstances, but the load you specify is not something there
should be a problem with.

What you can do is try to change the VM options and try the 1.3.1 beta jvm
see if you see any change in the behaviour. You can also try the latest
experimental Orion, 1.4.7 available via auto-update. If this is indeed
caused by
a bug in Orion, it's definately one that needs to be fixed right away so
we'd be
very happy if you could try another jvm to make it easier for us to locate
what
goes wrong.

A temporary solution if it's extremely urgent, could also be to use load
balancing and setting up a small cluster until we have located what's going
on.

Regards,
Karl Avedal

Daniel Guillamot wrote:

> Dear Mailing List:
>
> I am relatively new to the Orion webserver, but have had lots of exposure
> Apache and it's configuration files. 3 months ago I moved my website, to
> it's own server, with Orion installed. Orion ran great for 3 months. We
ran
> 3 separate web-site's off of it with their own application-deployments.
This
> past week, one website has had peak load times, where we reach over one
> million views a day, over 100 000 page impressions during peak hours. It
> usually happens at around 12pm PST every day. When this happens, Orion
stops
> taking any requests. Only on the one application (web site), the other 2
> websites running off of the same orion, the same machine, are fine. The
> extremely busy one just yields a white screen, waiting for a response, no
> error or Page Not Found appears, and no System.out logging appears from my
> servlets, nor does anything show up in the error.log. Even static html's
are
> not loaded during this time. Although only one the one web site, the other
2
> on the same machine are fine.
>
> The behaviour is triggered during peak times of over 100 000 page views
per
> hour. Orion continues in this stasis manner (no response, error, or
output)
> until it is restarted. The system has 1 gig of RAM, and is running RH6.0
and
> the Sun JVM 1.3 HotSpot. The -server and -native java parameters are on.
Max