Why not?

Really, as a simple test/example database, what shortcoming does it
have?  Just because nobody is fixing/adding new bugs to the code at the
moment doesn't mean that the current incarnation is not perfectly
adequate for its task.

I don't think anyone in their right mind would run a production system
with hsql, but for development I've never used anything so convenient.
Having the sql spit out to the hypersonic console in server-mode is
great!

Jeff