As regards the speed issue the hypersonic driver is really "hypersonic". In
my tests on PC with 32Mb RAM and 220Mhz CPU it was 3-5 times quicker than
the embedded Cloudscape (having full-blown functionality ) and nearly 10
times (!) quicker than the remotely connected Cloudscape. I anticipate that
the matters are even worth for other drivers...
The most critical issue with hypersonic is memory management which may be
substantially mitigated by its initial preallocation.
Besides hypersonic is very reliable piece of code (this is important for CMP
beans) and  has a small footprint (hence more flexibility in design
options). Taken all these merits into account I don't see any alternative to
hypersonic.