Because sendRedirect is fundamentally completely different to the
RequestDispatcher? It sends a 302 response back to the client and the client
browser re-requests the new URL. RequestDispatcher only performs internal
includes and forwards, so the client never knows it was used.

If you need fo forward to another URL, you can always use a full URL.

Not much point arguing over it though, the spec team did at length and IMHO
the good guys lost ;)

-mike