From: Alexander Jerusalem
To: Orion-Interest
Cc: ''Orion-Interest' '
Sent: 3/30/01 7:00 PM
Subject: RE: [JBoss-user] JBoss verses Orion

I'm not completely sure if this is the reason but there is this "one
VM/classloader or multiple VMs/classloaders" distinction. I believe the
important point is that Orion is an EJB *and* Servlet container whereas
JBoss is only an EJB container. So if you use tomcat for example to run
your Servlets all the calls to JBoss based EJBs will we marshalled by
value
by default whereas in Orion they will be transferred by reference. This
makes a huge difference especially if the method you call for
performance
testing does essetially nothing.

There is, however, a way to configure the JBoss/tomcat (or JBoss/Jetty)
combination so that this boundary is optimized away. With JBoss comes a
sample application that you can call in two ways: either optimized or
non
optimized and the performance difference is aprox. 4 times or so. I
think
that this could be the difference you are seeing in your tests. You'll
have
to ask the JBoss experts to find out about how to configure JBoss so
that
it uses this optimization.

The other thing that I've heard is that tomcat is rather slow in
compaison
to Jetty. And I know that the Orion JSP/Servlet engine is pretty fast so

you should maybe try the JBoss/Jetty combination for faster results.

Regards,
Alexander Jerusalem