From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Earl Marwil
Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2001 8:00 AM
To: Orion-Interest
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Does any one has a solution for the "domain was null" message???

If you use the ApplicationClientContextFactory it will read META-INF/application-client.xml which is where you can specify the <ejb-ref> and <env-ref> elements... There still must be some other aspect of your situation that I don't understand.

In answer to my own question, I finally discovered how the rmi authentication works in conjunction with an EJBUserManager. It was not clear from the error messages. After reading the article at orionsupport on the DataSourceUserManager, studying the orion examples and docs and an intuitive guess, I added the permissions to a group in the application's principals.xml, e.g.:

<group name="RMIUsers">
        <description>rmi users</description>
        <permission name="rmi:login" />
        <permission name="com.evermind.server.rmi.RMIPermission" />
</group>

(Can someone explain the permissions in relation to the groups or point me to a reference? I'm still not sure which of the two or whether both are required and why. It works for now...)

This group name is added in the orion-application.xml which also directs the application to use the custom EJB user manager:

<user-manager class="com.evermind.ejb.EJBUserManager">
        <property name="defaultGroups" value="ValidatedUsers" />
        <property name="home" value="ejb/CustomEJBUserBean" />
</user-manager>
<namespace-access>
        <read-access>
                <namespace-resource root="">
                        <security-role-mapping>
                                <group name="RMIUsers" />
                        </security-role-mapping>
                </namespace-resource>
        </read-access>
</namespace-access>

Now my application client is successful in connecting to the rmi server, authenticating a user account via the EJBUserManager and accessing my application.