I have found the lack of bi-directional support very frustrating, and think
that it so impedes CMP functionality that it should be qualified as a bug,
and not a pending feature.

I also don't see what the big technical challenge in implementing it would
be.
If Orion is going to be this sluggish with support and new features, I would
ask them to consider going open source.  Let me fix it if you won't--do you
hear me Orion guys?

My workaround is to manage the relations with a 'RelationManager' session
bean.  For n-m relations, I create my join tables with composite primary
keys, as in (for hsql):

CREATE TABLE User_Order (
    userId              CHAR(37)            NOT NULL,
    orderId            CHAR(37)            NOT NULL,
    PRIMARY KEY (userId, orderId));

Then in the session bean, I explicitly create both sides of the relationship
(eg. user.addOrder(order) and order.addUser(user) ) and catch the duplicate
key exception, as in:

    user.addOrder(order);
    if(NON_DIRECTIONAL_BUG) {
      try {
        order.addUser(user);
      }
      catch(EJBException e) {
        // for Orion 1.4.7 bidirectional bug;
      }
    }

When (if) Orion fixes this bug, the modifications to my code will be slight.