        From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Sent: Thu 4/5/2001 6:34 AM
        To: Orion-Interest
        Subject: How to set the X-Window DISPLAY on Orion

        Hi,

        We're using Oracle Reports Server on UNIX with Orion. Oracle
Reports
        requires an X-Windows session on UNIX platforms. Basic inquiries
such as
        font availability and font metrics are resolved through
X-Windows, not just
        rasterization of graphic images. Reports is a bitmapped product
and needs a
        window runtime environment. So I've set up a Virtual Frame
Buffer using
        Xvfb I did some testing and when I set the DISPLAY=:1.0 and run
xclock the
        virtual frame buffer works just fine.

        But whenever we attempt to use Reports without an Xterm running
we get
        "can't  open display".  So I believe the issue is actually with
the
        Application Server not knowing where to look for the DISPLAY. My
        understanding is that with Apache's JServer you can tell it to
use the Xvfb
        instead of the the normal X server by making an entry in the
        jserv.properties file. How can I do this with Orion?

        Thanks!

        Rob Lent
        Lead Database Analyst
        AXA Client Services