A more common reason for that error is that your database server, or the JDBC
driver, has a timeout built into the connection. For instance, MySQL will timeout
a connection after 8 hours. The MySQL JDBC driver has a option that you can turn
on to "keepalive" the database connection. If it were an incompatibility with
the JVM or servlet engine, seems it would happen constantly, not occasionally.
Connection timeouts, on the other hand, do occur occasionally. I would not be
concerned about the error, since it should not cause corruption, just failed
requests. I would, however, be concerned about technocal support from Thruport.

tim.