Hey Kev,

It seems that after that long discussion on the JSP list, each one ended
up building his own MVC framework, remember that? ;) At the beginning, I
also integrated this feature inside my framework but then I realised
that this way I wouldn't be able to re-use it for other applications, or
even for static content. That's the reason why I ended up creating a
filter. But there are some things I don't like about filters: They have
to be configured in the web.xml and they are not easily integrated with
other parts of the framework, unless you share objetcs through the
context or something simliar. What I would love to have is a "feedback"
mechanism to provide the containers with some extra
information/configuration that is not included in the web.xml. This way
I could just configure everything in my own framework configuration file
and then I would give the feedback to the container. Otherwise, if you
use filters for logging, authentication, IP filtering... your web.xml
ends up being extra-large and having the application configured in two
places is error-prone. But well, such a feedback API is not in place
so... ;)
Talking about the IP filter, if you are interested, I can show you my
DTD and even some code as it is nothing extra-complex.
Regards,
Dan