Yes, I figured out that the parsePostData is intended for mime-encoded
multipart forms, not regular HTML forms.

I made myself a helper class to move all the form data into a hashtable. You
have to call this from within the JSP page, but then you can pass the
hashtable anywhere you want.

import java.util.*;
import javax.servlet.ServletRequest;

public class FormCollector
{
 public static Hashtable parseForm(ServletRequest request)
 {
  Hashtable result = new Hashtable();
  Enumeration names = request.getParameterNames();
  while ( names.hasMoreElements() )
  {
   String name = (String) names.nextElement();
   result.put( name, request.getParameter(name) );
  }
  return result;
 }

}