We are running Orion on RH 6.2, too. Here's a simple script we use to
start/stop it:

--snip--
#!/bin/sh
#
# Startup script for the Orion server
#

#chkconfig: 2345 9 91
#

# See how we were called.
case "$1" in
  start)
        echo -n "Starting Orion: "
        cd /usr/src/orion/
        java -jar orion.jar > orionlog.txt 2>&1 &
        echo "  [ OK ]"

        ;;

  stop)
        echo -n "Shutting down Orion: "
        cd /usr/src/orion/
        java -jar admin.jar ormi://localhost admin <password> -shutdown force
        echo "  [ OK ]"

        ;;

  restart)
        $0 stop
        $0 start

        ;;

  log)
        echo -n "Orion log:"
        cd /usr/src/orion/
        more orionlog.txt

        ;;

  *)
        echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart|log}"
        exit 1
esac

exit 0
--snip--