Take a look at Squid (http://www.squid-cache.org). I have successfully
used it as a front-end accelerator with Orion. With simple redirect
rules I guess you can use it as a load balancer too. It is open source,
very stable and available for most platforms. Although I found a
possible bug in Orion relating to <frontend> tag. See:
http://www.mail-archive.com/orion-interest%40orionserver.com/msg12780.html

There's also Linux Virtual Server project which is aimed for load
balancing:
http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/

Joni
[EMAIL PROTECTED]