Orion is not an IIOP-based server.  It uses client stubs to communicate
using the "Orion RMI Protocol" (ormi).

If you need to access EJBs from a pure CORBA client, you have three
options I can think of:

Write your own RMI proxy
Use some sort of HTTP-based RPC mechanism
Use an app server which speaks IIOP natively

There seems to be something of a religious war over the issue of
stubs/proxies vs. IIOP.  There is a lot of interesting discussion in the
EJB-INTEREST archives about this.

Jeff