Excel stylesheets?  Perhaps you mean XSL :-)

If you use the JAXP 1.1 transforms api, creating a Templates object
should produce a "precompiled" version of an XSLT.  Although this will
be completely dependent on implementation, I don't believe any
implementations actually compile to bytecode - really "precompiled"
means "preparsed" and maybe stored in a format for efficient processing.

On a related note:

A friend and I are nearly finished constructing a simple MVC framework
with sophisticated XSLT support.  We will be publishing it with an
Apache-style license in about a week.  Cool things this framework does:

. Output from a view can be run through a config-defined sequence of
iterative XSLT transformations.

. The JavaBeans model returned from a command can be automagically
adapted to a DOM for XSLT transformation without JSP, XSP, or any other
templating language.  Efficiently go directly from java beans to XSLT.

. The transformation process can be halted at any step, allowing the
XSLT creators/designers to work from static XML generated from the
previous step(s).

. Other templating systems can be used to feed input to the
transformation process, including JSP and Velocity.  Plain XML inputs
can be used as well.

. XSLT transformations are not required.  It's still an elegant MVC
framework for simple JSP/Velocity/? -> HTML processing.

I've attached an example configuration file so you can see the kinds of
things you can do with the framework.

Is anyone interested?

Jeff Schnitzer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]