My experience is that almost all 1.3.* variants (Sun, IBM, Blackdown)
breaks under heavy load on Linux (Redhat 7). It's a recognized bug and
is said to be fixed (even thought I found out that that was not the case)
in 1.3.1 RC1.

See http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/bugs/4355769.html
for some info about this.

The only JVM I tested that did not break under heavy load was JRockit.
To simulate the load I used several instances of Apache JMeter.

I ended up using Blackdowns 1.2.2.

Regards,

Erik Bogghed