FACT: Orion's HTTP clustering won't work unless the web site is
default-web-site.

also, session replication in orion(at least, 1.4.7, which is the version
I've used) does survive well server crashes, but not server restarts. I'll
explain

Environment with a redirector (R) and two orion boxes (A & B)

session values are replicated.

server B goes down

server A performs (session values are used)

server B goes live again

sessions on server A aren't replicated in server B. However, any attributes
set in A(setAttribute() ), will be replicated to B in realtime.

So, there's an amount of time, when crashed servers go back online, in which
they have partial or no session status replication. This is observable when
using any tipe of redirector, either software(LoadBalancer) or
hardware(Cisco Redirector, Foundry Iron). This could be solved(not easily
tough) with a synchronization instance in which server B should get a the
bulk of all session state in server A, then proceed normally.

Along this line, but diverting, the logged user is replicated only when the
user logs in, so sessions in B after the restart have no identity
information, which will eventually trigger a login page to be displayed.
These issues tend to get worse as the island size(box count) increases.

Orion does have a HTTPSessionManager interface exposed as public. It allows
Orion to implement a 'normal' HTTPSession and a ClusteredHTTPSession
transparently, and is used internally when some attributes are on appropiate
xml files (ref: <cluster/>); I'd wish there was a tag on
orion-application.xml that could allow a personalized class which implements
HTTPSessionManager to be used, a la UserManager, so some of these problems
(and others that arise with mixed sites that use non secure and secure
portions) could be worked around without giving up many of orion's session
managing abilities(URL rewriting, Management of sessions with the console
and so on)

My 2c,

JP