-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Juan Lorandi
(Chile)
Sent: 31. maj 2001 17:06
To: Orion-Interest
Subject: RE: bugs in <@page extends="...."> in Orion implementation?

take a look at the generated .java file created with your servlet
template(JSP)
you'll see that many of the features orion implements (session, page,
context var) is made at this time.
what you propose is walking around the spec, so your jsp pages will depend
on how orion translates them into a servlet, thus rendering them not
portable across web servers. Anything you can accomplish by using this new
base class, can be accomplished by either using filters or by implementing
your own security and session management thru Orion UserManager and
HTTPSessionManager. Tough the earlier can be plugged in seamlessly, the
latter doesn't have a configuration tag that allows it. The interface,
however, is available since version 1.4.5 at least, and Orion uses it
internally with two implementations, normal session and clustered sessions.

I agree with you that the feature should be there, but it would be necessary
only to work around (transient) web server limitations, and render the code
unportable. It should be in orion, but must be used wisely.

JP