The problem is that with BASIC authentication the *browser* remembers the
logon information and resends it whenever needed. Hence things like
invalidating the session will not work, since the browser will simply log
the user in again without their intervention.

So far as I know, there is no solution to this problem. If you use BASIC
authentication, the user has to shut down the browser to log off.

If someone knows differently, I too would certainly love to hear the answer.

Nick