I have found that instantiating a class with a static member to manage a
pool of application connections (to a proprietary host app) does not
work, because passivated beans, when activated do not get the static
member from the current running vm, but an empty one.  That's life in
EJB servers and I'm not confused about that.  (just using the static
class violates the EJB standard... ).

After reading a lot of email archives I gather that it is necessary to
create an RMI server to accomplish a single interface to this object fro
all the EJB's in the app (potentially clustered).  That's nice, but I
have to know how to do several things:
    -package the rmi server component in the ear
    -start the server when the app starts or start it from within the
first session bean.

Is this possible?  If I implement an RMI server will I now have a
nightmare of configuration requirements to get my app to work on a
variety of servers?

Thanks
Wendell Nichols