Nothing seems to be going my way! :-(

First of all I've noticed that there are different provider URLs being
passed around. I need to get this straitened out.
As I understand it the format should be:

ormi://<hostname>/<application>

now what about the port? ORMI defaults to port 23791, right?
does that "ormi://" part make the port not necessary because the default
port is used?

I have been using
ormi://129.21.160.38/salary

I have tried
ormi://129.21.160.38
ormi://129.21.160.38:23791
ormi://129.21.160.38/application
ormi://129.21.160.38:23791/application

I'm really not sure what the application part of the provider URL is, can
anyone clarify this? I thought it was the applications JNDI name space you
wanted to access but I'm really not sure.

The only difference is that my code freezes in different places. What is the
preferred way to do this? Are any of these totally wrong?

On to the initial context factory. I've been flipping between 2 of them in
totally ignorance. What is the difference between these factories?
Which one is best to use for doing JNDI lookups from within an applet?
com.evermind.server.rmi.RMIInitialContextFactory
com.evermind.server.ApplicationClientInitialContextFactory

So I've been trying every possible combination of these 2 properties and the
only thing that changes is where the code stops working. I either stops on
Context context = new InitialContext(ht);
or on
NamingEnumeration enum = context.list("");

my hashtable looks like this:
ht.put( "java.naming.applet"                , this );      //I have no idea
what this does, anyone?
ht.put( "java.naming.factory.initial"       ,
s_initial_context_factory_name );
ht.put( "java.naming.provider.url"          ,
url_name            );
ht.put( "java.naming.security.principal"    ,
       );
ht.put( "java.naming.security.credentials"  ,
           );

Thanks for any help.
Paul