Yep running out of file descriptors. You have a max of 1024 per process,
but as just about everything in Linux (and Unix) uses a file descriptor
(like the tcp sockets java uses), you can easily use this up.

www.jlinux.org has instructions on what you need to change before you
recompile your kernel.

You may also want to change to native threads as well as this will give
you better performance for server side apps.

Chris