To get it up and running, there is plenty of documentation in
OrionSupport.com (and its mirrors) and at the Jcorporate site on
transitioning from  Expresso from the RI/Tomcat platform (OrionSupport is
specific only to general RI/Tomcat issues, though).  Jcorporate also has an
active maillist, with a great archive..

The Expresso framework and examples are written for Tomcat and the RI, so
you need to do the same things you did for PetStore for the Expresso RI.
This effort will get you well along the way to discovering any hidden and
non-obvious issues that you will need to know specific to both the RIs and
your code.

The possible conflicts are the same for any J2EE port:  proprietary
differences in implementations, specialized performance and implementation
'shortcuts,' differences in XML parsers and database/persistence layers,
and, of particular issue for Orion, the ORMI 'problem.'

The exercise is not trivial but is necessary to your understanding of the
Expresso Framework on the Orion platform.  I would stay away from the
Expresso 4.0ea code, as it is still very much in flux.

Michael J. Cannon
PM/COO-hsqldb.org, Incorporated