Hi,
I've implemented a couple of applications that stored files inside the
database using the Oracle thin driver (we never use any driver type but
the thin). To do so we just used LONG RAW columns and getBinaryStream()
and setBinaryStream(). Even though we also used
ZipInputStream/ZipOutputStream to compress/decompress the files as they
were getting in/out of the database, files were pretty much always
bigger than 4K. Now we started using Blobs because of the advantages
they give you on the database side, even though their handling in Java
is not that simple.
Just my 2c,
D.