all inline

I'm using W2k. Runs neat. SQL Server 2000, I used I-Net's drivers and
everything worked
fast and smooth. However I haven't used it intensly.

> 2. Any comments on performance, scalability and availability of the
> Orion server on Windows 2000?

As with any W2k, use the lastest SP and hotfixes. The maximun number of
_true_ threads W2k manages
is 250 (1 uP, 1 GB RAM); about 75 are used by services, and if you'll have
IIS there, you can't have more than
75-100 threads running without severe problems. Of course, If you'd ever
have 100 concurrent users on a single orion, you'd be using a cluster(won't
ya?).

> 3. What VM is best to use to run Orion server?
For W2k, Sun's latest is the fastest. Have proof (and an NDA, so I can't
reveal it). You can test, the results are almost humanly measurable. It's
amazing how much Sun's VM has changed since 1.2.2.

> 4. Does it have auto start and restart features? Do you have
> to have an
> interactive logon session to start it?

There are some utilities that allow you to run orion(or any java app) as a
service. Search the list archives.

> 5. What security context does it run in?

I think the elephantwalker covered that. You can implement your own
UserManager; if you're thinking of auth against the PDC, yes, it can be
done. You'd have to write your own UserManager, and then use JNI or
J-Integra to call upon ADSI objects.

> 6. What is Orion server security track record? Has it ever been
> compromised or taken out by DOS attacks?

There were fixed bugs. Also, dropped connections on long-execution pages do
not kill the webserver thread, so there may be DOS vulnerabilities. even so,
it's a whole lot better than IIS. And bugs don't have the same amount of
press.

> 7. Any comments on IronFlare's technical support? It looks
> like there is
> no live tech support - just email.
>
> All input is welcome.
>
> Thanks,