Make sure you're using the latest version of poolman, or even the CVS
version. The JMX management it uses has very screwy (basically,
non-functional outside of tomcat's broken classloader) classloading. Also
try and run it in non-JMX mode. The latest version does not require xerces
and works with JAXP as far as I know (I submitted a patch for that).

On the other hand, if you're using Orion, why not use Orion's connection
pooling and save yourself from all this pain?

Hani