Overview:
We are an accounting software house and have developed a J2EE
application which works with together with our legacy system enabling
sales orders to be collected via the web. Our users are able to
customise the JSP pages and host their applications with a suitable ISP.
An ISP would like to host our application for many clients and hence
need to host multiple sites.

I give below in detail the procedure we recommend for hosting multiple
sites as I expect it would be of use to others.

However I am uncertain as whether there is a simpler method or whether I
am missing something which makes this more intricate. In the method
described below the items 8, 9 and 10 have to be done after deployment
and applications redeployed by stopping and starting the Orion. When a
new version of the software by way of an ear file is produced the steps
8 to 10 would have to be carried out again.

Perhaps someone has a better solution which deploys without needing
further tweaking and if you do, others like me would like to hear from
you.

with regards

Gamini de Alwis
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Software Developer
Business Manager Software
Tel  (03) 9813 3022. Fax  (03) 9882 5887
website http://www.bmsoft.com.au
Try our latest web orders demo by clicking
http://jdemo.bmsoft.com.au/eorders1/

HOWTO: Multiple site & Multiple j2ee app hosting with Orion
1. Create additional data set for the new site.

2. Suppose the original applications was eorders.ear, we create a copy
with a name say eorders_1.ear

3. Edit default-web-site.xml by inserting a line, where the app is
called with eorders1
        <web-app application="eorders_1" name="eorders-web"
root="/eorders1" />
   default-web-site.xml is found in //orion/config

4. Edit data-sources.xml by inserting the block
        <data-source
                class="com.evermind.sql.DriverManagerDataSource"
                name="Hypersonic"
                location="jdbc/HypersonicCoreDS_1"
                xa-location="jdbc/xa/HypersonicXADS_1"
                ejb-location="jdbc/HypersonicDS_1"
                connection-driver="org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver"
                username="sa"
                password=""
                url="jdbc:hsqldb:/data/hsql_1/defaultdb"
                inactivity-timeout="30"
        />
   The same block without the _1 is already found in the file for the
original application.
   data-sources.xml is also found in //orion/config

5.  Edit server.xml by inserting the line
        <application name="eorders_1"
path="../applications/eorders_1.ear" auto-start="true" />
   The same line without the _1 is already there in the file for the
original application.                   default-web-site.xml is found in
//orion/config

6. Deploy the copy eorders_1.ear created in 2. above by putting the file
into //orion/applications

7. Stop orion server.

8. Create a data-sources.xml in //orion/application-deployments/eorders1
directory. Its contents would be
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE data-sources PUBLIC "Orion data-sources"
"http://www.orionserver.com/dtds/data-sources.dtd";>
<data-sources>
        <data-source
                class="com.evermind.sql.AliasDataSource"
                location="EOrdersDataSource"
                source-location="jdbc/HypersonicDS"
        />
</data-sources>

9. Insert the line
        <data-sources path="data-sources.xml" />
   into orion-application.xml in
//orion/application-deployments/eorders1 directory.

10. Under each //orion//application-deployments/eorders1/*.jar directory
examine the orion-ejb-jar.xml and change any occurance of
data-source="jdbc/HypersonicDS" to data-source="jdbc/HypersonicDS_1".
These will be for all cmp EJBs.

11. Restart orion server.