From: Justin Crosbie
Sent: 28 January 2002 12:50
To: 'Orion-Interest'
Subject: RE: Job Scheduler pattern

Hi again,

Thanks for the help on this. What I've done so far is this:

1. Implemented a java.util.Timer as a Singleton which is accessed from the
servlet layer.
2. Implemented a class that extends TimerTask, which does a JNDI lookup of
my EJB and invokes the
appropriate method.
3. Call the Singleton from the servlet to schedule the TimerTasks as per
client requests.
(Plus save details to database)
4. Implemented another app to be called via the <client-module> tag which
reschedules the previously
scheduled TimerTasks. Thus I have my persistence.
5. The Singleton runs the ReScheduler whenever its recreated.
6. Run orion using the -userThreads parameter - this is necessary.

So, as long as my Singleton class stays up, I should be OK. The problem is,
some tasks might be scheduled for weeks or months away. How can I guarantee
that it will fire at the scheduled time even if it is this long away?

I understand that there may be several instances of the Singleton per
classloader, thats OK, as long as its a finite amount.

So. My question now is: Is this as robust as it gets? Is there anything I am
not doing, or could do to implement a better solution? All opinions welcome.

Thanks again,
Justin