I have kind of a general app server question:

I have a servlet that puts a user object into session
-------------
HttpSession session = req.getSession(true);
session.setAttribute("user", user);

We use this object to check if a visitor has logged into the web site or not

My boss has asked me to increase the timeout of this session to 8 hours !!!

Apart from the obvious security issue, I was wondering about the load on
the server. Is holding too many session at once a common cause of server
failure ?

I can't really give details about the number of users, but assume there
will be a few hundred at any one time.
The hardware specs of the app server are about mid range.

thanks