Michael,

Orion has a loadbalancer for the web-tier, and this has failure detection,
and is http session aware. If your application is deployed on several
island's, your web-tier is virutally immortal. Likewise, entity beans and
slsb ejb's deployed in the same vm's will be replicated.

For beans which are deployed on remote machines, the Orion ormi has a
built-in failover capability. If you provide a list of ormi servers in your
rmi.xml file, Orion will try each one, in turn, if one is unavailable. So
entity and slsb's have complete fail-over. However, most who use orion use
ejb's in the same container as the web teir.

Ormi can also be clustered using multi-casting.

Oc4j has sfsb fail-over, as I have seen this demonstrated at Oracle Open
World by Larry himself. I am still checking if this will work in 1.5.4. Key
bit is the replication tag in the orion-ejb-jar.xml. Apparently, it only
works for the default state. Oracle describes three different methods, vm
shutdown replication, end of call replication and a homegrown method call
replication. The EndOfCall replication attribute just blows up nicely, so it
looks like they have broken this for orion 1.5.4.

Still investigating, though.

regards,

the elephantwalker
www.elephantwalker.com