Are you looking up from an EJB?
if so do you have a reference in the ejb-jar for that bean to the bean
you are looking up?
like:
            <ejb-ref>
                 <ejb-ref-name>ejb/ItemHome</ejb-ref-name>
                 <ejb-ref-type>Entity</ejb-ref-type>
                 <home>beans.ItemHome</home>
                 <remote>beans.Item</remote>
                 <ejb-link>ItemBean</ejb-link>
             </ejb-ref>

I have the above and get a the reference like:
    static private String Item_ref = "ejb/ItemHome";
        Context initial = new InitialContext();
        Object objref = initial.lookup("java:comp/env/"+Item_ref);
        ItemHome itemHome =
            (ItemHome)PortableRemoteObject.narrow(objref,

ItemHome.class);

oh btw im not quite sure about the <ejb-link> tag. It does not seem to
be necesary, but is was created by a tool, so i have just let it be.

cheers
Jesper