Prof. Young.

In reference to Prof. Goranson, you write:
" My problem is that it doesn't seem so simple.  At the beginning of
> the year I> reviewed the standard works on Qumran- Vermes etc, and I
was
unable to find one convincing argument for the sectarian Essene origin of
the
> Scrolls."

I find this odd.  Maybe this is because you are trying to find a text
that says ESSENE written on it?

If you hold to the view expressed by Josephus that Judaism has
3 main "tents" - - it would seem sufficiently clear that the Qumran texts
are neither Sadducee or Pharisee.

Do you then believe that the sectarian texts at Qumran (rather than
just copies of parts of the bible) are some OTHER sect, rather than
Essene?

If this is your belief, I'm sure it would lead to interesting
discussions.

But the basic point of we who believe the Qumran texts are "more or
less Essene" (as I might express it for the purposes of this post), is
that they are NOT texts of the other two major branches of Judaism.

Your thoughts or comments?

George Brooks
Tampa, FL

For private reply, e-mail to George Brooks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>